Post Convictions/Modifications A Defense Lawyer Who Understands What You're Up Against

Macon Post-Conviction Relief/Modifications Lawyer

Experienced & Committed Legal Representation in Georgia

Just because a conviction was made does not necessarily mean your case is closed for good. Post-conviction relief applications may be pursued based on the circumstances of your case. These can consist of various actions that can be taken on your behalf to appeal the verdict or sentencing, to gain early release, or to remove your record from public access. If you are seeking some type of post-conviction help, you can turn to Deadwyler-Heuman Law Firm, LLC for experienced and dedicated legal help.

Our post-conviction defense attorney can thoroughly review your situation to determine what can be done through the courts to accomplish your legal objective. We will do everything possible to bring about the results you seek. Our Macon post-conviction/modifications attorney is well-respected in the legal community at both the state and federal level; and our reputation for integrity and competence could serve favorably in your case.

Need post-conviction help? Schedule a free case evaluation through our online request form or by contacting us at (478) 205-6623.

Various Types of Post-Conviction Legal Actions

Post-conviction actions can include:

  • Appellate work, in which an appeal is made to a higher court based on legal errors made by the lower trial court
  • Habeas corpus, in which the legality of your confinement is challenged
  • Expungement, in which access to your criminal record is restricted from the public and is only available to law enforcement or the criminal justice system
  • Sentencing modification hearings, in which a request is made to the court to modify the sentencing based on new factors favorable to you

How Do You Appeal a Case in Georgia?

Various aspects of trial court proceedings can be reviewed by an appeals court to determine if any legal errors were made, whether pre-trial motions were taken, or what took place during the trial. In an appeal, your lawyer is looking for mistakes that would justify reversing the trial court’s findings or having your case remanded back to the trial court for further proceedings. In an appeal, new evidence is not presented. Rather, your lawyer will present verbal or written briefs outlining the mistakes made at your trial to the appellate court. These arguments may be countered by attorneys for the other side.

Mistakes that may lead to a reversal or to remanding your case back to the lower court for further action can include the:

  • inadequate or incompetent representation of your trial lawyer at the time,
  • how the judge handled pre-trial motions,
  • mistakes by the judge regarding allowable evidence,
  • unfair actions by the prosecution, or
  • sentencing errors made by the judge.

How Habeas Corpus Works

A petition called habeas corpus can be filed with the court if you have been confined and have been denied release after a direct appeal. It can also be filed requesting the overturn of an invalid sentence or the overturn of a denial of bond. It only applies to individuals who have been held in custody and may be based on various factors that demonstrate a violation of one’s Constitutional rights, such as incompetent legal counsel, a lack of evidence, illegal search and seizure, and other legal grounds.

How Expungement Works

Georgia’s expungement law has been changed to the term “record restriction.” In a record restriction, your criminal record is no longer made available to the general public. It is not erased or eliminated. It is still accessible to law enforcement and the court system. Various rules apply as to who is eligible for a record restriction. Your case will need to be reviewed by our attorney to determine the eligibility of your unique situation.

Criminal Sentence Modification

In a trial, you have the right to request a modification of your sentence by filing a specific motion with the court. Your request must be based on clear and convincing evidence that is new to the court and that can justify having the court review it. The new factors must be relevant to your sentence or to its purpose. If the judge rules in favor of this new evidence, the court has the power to reduce or modify your sentence or grant alternative sentencing.

Find out if you are eligible for any type of post-conviction relief or sentence modification. Contact Deadwyler-Heuman Law Firm, LLC online or by dialing (478) 205-6623.

A Lawyer Who Cares

Why Choose Our Firm?
  • Simple & Hassle-Free Payment Plans

    We will not turn you away because of financial difficulties.

  • Respected Reputation

    Attorney Ashley Deadwyler-Heuman is a highly respected attorney amongst prosecutors and judges.

  • A Personal, Vested Interest in Our Clients

    We are committed to handling each case with the attention and respect you deserve.

Testimonials from Real Clients

Well-Respected Representation
  • “Mrs. Deadwyler and her staff are simply and amazing! I have been working with them for close to year and having them in my corner during my spouse immigration process made it easy! They are very ...”

    - Satisfied Client
  • “Ashley Deadwyler is a very trustworthy person. She is humble and will make you feel at home. Her staff is just as wonderful & kind as her. I really do recommend her as an attorney.”

    - Lizabeth
  • “I've worked with Ashley on the Macon Re-Entry Coalition for several years and I know her to work hard for justice and be very considerate of those lives she is entrusted with. She knows the law and ...”

    - Judith
  • “Mrs. Ashley is by far the best attorney I have ever had. She had my seven yr old case dismissed within two months of her having took on my case. I have been through two crooked public defender's and ...”

    - Jamie
  • “Ashley Deadwyler is a caring and compassionate attorney who takes time to explain legal processes and options to her clients and their families. She is very professional but also personable. Her rates ...”

    - Brande